Wednesday 8 October 2014

St. Denys Pancakes

I made these pancakes the other day for the feast of St. Denys patron saint of Manchester Cathedral. Here is what you will need (accompanied by pictures):

Gram flour
Salt
Chilli powder
Turmeric powder
Mango powder (amchur)
Crushed black pepper
Fennel seeds
Cumin powder
Chart masala (optional)
Finely julianed carrots
Finely sliced onions
A few mint leaves (I usually use coriander but since I have none today I used mint)
Yoghurt - I use the low fat type as it blends easily, but Greek yoghurt would work just as well

Blend all the ingredients together until the batter is of pouring consistency. Lightly grease a non-stick frying pan and pour in the batter. I use three tablespoons for each pancake but you could vary this to your taste. Fry lightly on both sides until cooked golden brown, flipping occasionally.

Cooking tip - the onions are crucial but you can vary the spices and vegetables according to your taste. I have some cabbage Kimchi in the fridge which I will use next time I make these pancakes.













I had a few onions leftover so I roasted them on the pan and put some chilli flakes on them  for garnishing the pancakes



And here is what the final product looks like. I left it on that contraption to cool,  however these are best served straight from the pan with a drizzle of lemon or lime juice, a chutney of your choice and or yogurt.
Here is a link to the video click here







St Denys was a 3rd century martyr and bishop of Paris. Publicly beheaded he is said to have picked up his head and walked six miles with it in his hands 

No comments: