Monday 23 August 2010

thoughts on Onam

Onam is probably one of the quietest and most secular Indian festival and every time I get to celebrate it I discover something new. I wont tell you the story of Onam you will find it anywhere on the net. What I like about Onam is how inclusive it is and how dignified the celebrations are. Men and women wear their traditional clothes, which are in lovely creamy shade of white lined with gold. Most Indian festivals are characterised by bright clothes and loud celebration Onam is quiet and people of all faiths are included in the celebration, which is getting rare in India. The boat races, graceful dances, and pookalams are inclusive. I recall some of the celebrations from years ago when I must have been around four and it still held the same magic the food wasn’t a big attraction then and most of the time I just ate banana chips. The white and gold sarees had something magical about them. Even today when I see women on onam I find it magical there is something about the simplicity of a white and gold saree that almost seems ethereal.

No comments: