Wednesday 27 August 2014

Asia as a method- my review

I have just begun reading Asia as Method: Toward Deimperialization by Kuan-Hsing Chen. This books seems to take into account my issues with post colonialism and how identity based academic discourse can be limiting if not ridiculous. My issue with the discipline has been that it is stuck in an era and discourse which continue to privilege the west even whilst deconstructing it. 

The book provides a refreshing outlook on Asian cultural studies. Britain and diasporic communities in the UK do face problems related to race however their language is not the language of the community back home. I find it hard to explain this position to in both white and non white circles as the language of Asia as living the shadow of the former empire is still very alive. 



This is an informative lecture by Viren Murthy which explains the position much better than I can  "Post colonialism, Marxism and the Problem of Pan-Asianism", by Prof. Viren Murthy

Will keep you posted about this book that promises to be a good read. 

No comments: